b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Tetragrammaton; aia; is there a name in Ex3:14?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Tetragrammaton; aia; is there a name in Ex3:14?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:27:36 EDT

You characterize Aquila as "hyper-literal," others say Aquila wished to be
more faithful to the Hebrew text.

At any rate, many able Hebrew scholars and biblical translators, from Joseph
B. Rotherham to William H. C. Propp to Everett Fox, in their works, judge
from grammar and context that "I Will Be" is the better translation of the
EHYEH
at Exodus 3:14, and I accept their judgment.

I suppose it's a case of choose your scholars. :-)

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/03/2005 12:44:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,