b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Tetragrammaton; aia; is there a name in Ex3:14?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: rosewalk AT concentric.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Tetragrammaton; aia; is there a name in Ex3:14?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:01:31 EDT

I will only note the curious fact that nearly every English Bible that
translates Ehyeh at Exodus 3:14 as "I Am" has translated the exact very
same
Hebrew word as "I will be" (or similar) at Exodus 3:12.

Same word, only 2 verses apart. Yet, different translation. No
*grammatical* or *contextual* rationale for this that I can see.

Certain ancient translators of the LXX (Greek Septuagint) tradition rendered
Ehyeh at Exodus 3:14 plainly as ESOMAI, "I Will Be."

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/03/2005 7:23:26 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,