b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:17:15 +0100

On 29/07/2005 08:01, Vadim Cherny wrote:

I still got no reply. Guess no one here could explain why do you discuss
vocalization of the Tetragrammaton, though it is clearly and widely attested
by ancients as Iao. Doesn't seem to me like a standard of honest scholarship:
you simply disregard hard evidence when it doesn't fit your preconceptions.
Iao cannot be a verb, so forget Iao. That kind of reasoning?

The form IAW is just one of many different attested Greek forms of the Name. It deserves no more specific attention than the others. But it clearly corresponds to the first part of the names starting Jeho-, since sheva was often represented by alpha and Greek has no "h".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)