b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translation WAS: Re: VERBS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translation WAS: Re: VERBS
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:23:30 +0100

On 29/07/2005 05:54, Bearpecs AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 7/28/2005 10:21:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

At the very least it is wrong to say that any unclear or unnatural translation "must not be avoided", which seems to be a suggestion that clarity and naturalness in translation are invalid as criteria and must not be taken into account in translation.

I can't speak for Newmark, but I think that while naturalness is a valid criterion, it is not as much a priority as conveying as much as possible of the sense of the original. The same goes for clarity, ...

Hayyim, I understand that different people put different priorities on clarity and naturalness. And that is appropriate as the strength of this requirement depends on the target audience. But Newmark seems to suggest that it is illegitimate even to take these into account. I disagree.

For a good defence of the need for clarity, accuracy and naturalness in Bible translation (including a New Testament focus), see http://www.ibs.org/niv/munger/index.php.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)