b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Sujata <shevaroys AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:15:06 +0100

On 28/07/2005 21:20, Sujata wrote:

I dont know about the authenticity of this info, but
here's something that seems to point to YHWH worship
in Japan
http://www.biblemysteries.com/library/tribesjapan.htm

Could the Japanese have the answer to the
pronunciation puzzle?

Well, this is interesting, but I don't see any much evidence for the pronunciation of the Name, only the song which allegedly sounds like "Hallelujah, haliya, haliya, tohse, Yahweh, Yahweh, yoitonnah....". But does anyone recognise the supposedly Hebrew (or Greek) writing at the end? I can see how the central part could be )WR YHWH, but that must be far from certain.

This author writes:

I am not aware of any country, other than Japan, which has a festival illustrating the story of Isaac. I believe that this tradition provides strong evidence that the Israelites came to ancient Japan.

But it is clear that he or she is not familiar with Muslim festivals. True, the Muslims consider that the sacrifice festival, sometimes known as Eid or Id, marks the near death of Ishmael rather than Isaac, but it is clearly based on the same biblical story.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)