b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yishmor Y <yishmor AT heplist.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:11:12 -0800

Continuing with the thoughts by Chris Heard about the back and forth "attacks" about who is wrong and one not knowing the other's history, etc.:

From my understanding, this list discusses the Hebrew bible it interpretation, et cetera, with most interpretation through peshat. Peshat meaning its plain meaning; that is, independent of mystical interpretations, not needing to first filter it through some third party church, some third party synagogue, and independent of Little Orphan Annie decoder rings for them to tell us how we are supposed to interpret it (regardless of what is actually written). However, the list, from what I understand, would not bar looking at such interpretations as such interpretations may contribute to the progression of the discussion. Archaeological interpretations and parallels would, likewise, be allowed within the discussion as it may shed light on the discussion.

If one is unable to accept differing interpretations, especially if someone finds different interpretations unacceptable and distasteful to even be discussed, this list may not be the list for such a person to be on. If all that is mentioned in the previous paragraph is more-or-less true, this is the conclusion one would have to come to because a list as described in the previous paragraph would have many varied interpretations which would most likely clash with the dogma of some third party church or synagogue.

I have no idea where the list rules are, but I'm pretty sure heated attacks is something that should be avoided. If anything, its probably best to agree to disagree or ignore the person(s) whom one feels has offended oneself.

yišmor busi