b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:53:31 +0100

On 27/07/2005 13:04, Ken Penner wrote:

3) Verbs where the characteristic cannot be blotted out by
the context.

However, I remain sceptical that there are any verbs or other words in group 3, in any language.

It seems to me that Rolf's example "sing" always has the characteristic of
dynamicity. It is not a state.
Similarly, "sing" and "continue" always have durativity. They can never be
instantaneous.
And "create" has telicity. There is an inherent end to the activity.
It seems to me that these "lexical aspects" are uncancellable.

"All singing, all dancing" as a description of a product (e.g. http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=13356)?

"'Is that true?" he asked. 'No', he continued"? (OK, it takes a finite time to utter even the short word "No", but very few of even the most punctiliar verbs are actually strictly instantaneous.)

"She is always creating a fuss"?

Such colloquial usages often bend these kinds of Aktionsart rules.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)