b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:02:17 -0400

Uri, I find it interesting that on the Mesha Stele, the final he is not only used for the 3. m. s. pronominal suffix, but also the 3. f. s., as in line 8 bah. According to contemporary Hebrew phonics such a word would be pronounced with an aspirated /h/, that is /bah/ with a "breathy" h. Let's assume the two pronominal suffixes, though written identically, were pronounced differently. If so, I think the existence of different pronunciations for a final he is an expression of matres lexionis.

Shalom,
Bryan

Uri Hurwitz wrote:
Brian,
The letter "He" as a pronominal suffix, not only in the examples you cite bellow but also for instance in in A&TR$TH in the Kunt. El- Ajrud may well have been a vocalized consonant, --" ...tahu", as the cited above . In classical Arabic this is the case to the present. Interestingly, like in most cases in BH, this contracts to a syllable in the colloqiual dialects.
Uri

*/"B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>/* wrote:

Hi Yitzak,

Will you count the 3. m. s. pronominal suffixes as final he maters?
There are many of them that are pronounced /o/: (line 6) vayyahlephoh,
benoh, (7) boh, ubetoh, (8) moh, beyamoh, etc.

I admit, when we pronounce such final he's as /o/, we may be using
anachronistic pronunciation rules. IOW, they may have been consonants
as, I think, Joel Hoffman mentioned as a general possibility for
epigraphic Hebrew ("Moabite").

Shalom,
Bryan