b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:46:21 -0700 (PDT)

Brian,

The letter "He" as a pronominal suffix, not only in the examples you cite
bellow but also for instance in in A&TR$TH in the Kunt. El- Ajrud may well
have been a vocalized consonant, --" ...tahu", as the cited above . In
classical Arabic this is the case to the present. Interestingly, like in
most cases in BH, this contracts to a syllable in the colloqiual dialects.

Uri

"B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Yitzak,

Will you count the 3. m. s. pronominal suffixes as final he maters?
There are many of them that are pronounced /o/: (line 6) vayyahlephoh,
benoh, (7) boh, ubetoh, (8) moh, beyamoh, etc.

I admit, when we pronounce such final he's as /o/, we may be using
anachronistic pronunciation rules. IOW, they may have been consonants
as, I think, Joel Hoffman mentioned as a general possibility for
epigraphic Hebrew ("Moabite").

Shalom,
Bryan