b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH (long)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH (long)
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:54:13 +0100

Dear Kieron,

The word PIPI is probably a "graphic" transcription, so to speak. In square
Aramaic script the tetragram may resemble the the Greek letters pipi. It is
interesting that in the marigin of Syriac manuscripts of the Syro-Hexapla we
find PIPI and HEHE (and occasionally YHWH) in Syrian letters. This could
suggest that som Greek manuscripts used as Vorlage had tetragrams in Aramaic
script (PIPI) and others had tetragrams in Old Hebrew script (HEHE).

I do not have the texts of Aquila, Symmachus, and Theodotion where I am at
present, but I remember that Theodotion translated EHYE with Greek future.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo
-----