b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:10:46 -0500

Dear James,

Sorry for the mess up before. That's what happens when you join a
discussion from memory without checking the grammar first.
However, while you are quite right that a regular verb would be
bisyllabic I'm sure you are all aware that regular roots are few
and far between. And that the root hwh is anything but regular.
Plus the general conception that this is a causative form. To the
best of my knowledge pe guttural hiphils and hophals are trisyllabic.
The evidence from the ancient names of a second long vowel o/u is
insurmountable.

HH: Perhaps trisyllabic ones are the norm, but I don't think a rule can discerned. Consider the Hiphil imperfect of HLK, which is HOLIYK (two syllables).

Yours,
Harold Holmyard