b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:41:18 +0200

Perhaps. And remember the (MUTCH) later tradition, that Galileans could not
pronounce their He's....
One interesting thing. In the MT, the name Yah, either when written alone
(e.g. Ex. 15:3) or as part of a word like "haleluyah", always has a mappiq in
the He, showing that it is meant to be pronounced as a consonant. In personal
names, like Hezekiyah, Gedaliyah etc., its always with no mappiq.

Yigal