b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:43:36 -0500

Dear John,

You are correct in saying that the name of God is used all over scripture;
however, the move away from saying the name of God and pronouncing it was
late Biblical (post-exilic) and Rabbinic tradition. It is part of the hedge
building done starting then. This particular issue is an extension from the
ten commandments "YOU shall not take the name of God in vanity." The
thought was that if you do not say the proper name of God at all, then you
can not accidentily say it vainly.

HH: That's probably right. If I drive I might have an accident, so perhaps I better not drive.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard