b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:59:45 -0500

Yigal:

Again I can point to other examples.

In Germany, there were many dialects that diverged from the original
Germanic, but after Luther developed the modern high German, most of those
dialects disappeared except in the small villages &#8220;auf dem
Lande&#8221;. In cities the dialectal use gave way to high German.

In China, I heard the complaint of an intellectual: he was Manchurian. He
commented that his people conquered China and ruled it for a few hundred
years. But in that time, they lost their language and culture. What sort of
trade is that?

As for when, others on this list indicate that it could have started already
during the Assyrian period, and like the German example above, starting with
the cities, merchants and intellectual classes, gradually spreading
throughout the whole society.

As for the dating of Daniel, I have no problem with agreeing to differ.

Karl W. Randolph.