b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:39:48 -0400

B-Haverim,

First off, I have no special preference for welding rather than sharpening as an explanation of this proverb. I haven't yet seen why, on the other hand, welding is not a beautiful possibility. Let me advocate for the "road less travelled":

According to one web site, welding is an ancient art.

See http://www.weldinghistory.org/history/welding/index.html:

1475 BC the tomb of Vizier Rekh-mi-re at Thebes, a wall painting depicts a brazing operation.
1000 BC Iron and bronze items found in excavations near the pyramids were forge-welded.

The *difficulty* of the technique of forge welding does not in any way make it literarily improbable as the figure being employed in Pro 27:17. On the contrary, the difficulty of the technique may actually be a writer's incentive for using the figure seeing the proverb is extolling something special about intimate friendship.

Shalom, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.