b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 06:41:05 +0200

I think it was Tadmor. The idea is, that the use of Aramaic in imperial
administration spread after the Assyrian conquest of Damascus and other
Aramean kingdoms in the late 8th century. Deportations of Arameans would
have also contributed. My question is, at what stage did Aramaic replace
Akkadian as the common spoken language in southern Mesopotamia? It seems to
have done so by the 5th or 4th centuries, even though chronicles and other
offical inscriptions were still being written in Akkadian even as late as
the Roman Period.

Yigal