b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:26:20 +0200

The Hermopolis letters, as you wrote, were probably written by Arameans.
Anyway, my question is about Babylonia.

And yes, spoken Arabic, of which there are hundreds of dialects, is
different from the written language, which is a "modernized" version of
Classical (that is, Quran) Arabic. It's used throughout the Arab world for
literature, official documents, newspapers, television news etc. It's very
much like Koine Greek was used during the Classical period. But just like
Koine did actually reflect the Attic of a certain period, which then became
the standard written form of Greek for a thousand years and more, so does
"written Arabic" reflect the actual spoken language of some period.
Presumably, Babylonian Akkadian also reflected the spoken language of some
group at some time.

Yigal