b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:22:26 +0100

On 18/05/2005 09:24, Sesamo m. wrote:

So, going back to 1 Sam 7:2: "And it came to pass, from the day that the ark abode in Kiriath-jearim, that the time was long; for it was twenty years: and all the house of Israel lamented after Jehovah." I think the 20 years were the period since the ark was carried to Kiriath-jearim until 'all the house of Israel lamented after Jehovah' and were gathered to Mizpah.

Thank you, Sergio and also Karl, for your thoughts on the chronology.

But is your opinion in the last sentence above based on the Hebrew text of this verse, or is it influenced by your chronological reconstruction? That is why I initially asked the question without mentioning the chronology.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)