b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 18:36:34 -0500

Peter:

I think the problem here is the modern division of chapters and verses. When
we look at the context, we see that chapter six was about the events
surrounding the Ark of the Covenant. Except for the first verse, chapter
seven is about Samuel’s judgeship over Israel. But because 1 Samuel 7:1 is
part of chapter seven, we want to read the next verse as belonging with it,
when context calls that into question. Also the Masoretes considered that
there was a break between verses one and two, by the way they formatted the
text.

There are many places where modern chapter and verse divisions do not follow
Biblical context and ideas.

I see no problem with Samuel’s judgeship lasting 20 years. If he were 25–30
when the events of chapter six occurred, that would make him an old man of
45–50, his sons 25–30, when the people came to him to ask for a king. That
does not seem out of line, even for those days. That would allow him to die a
very old man of less than 80 while still accomplishing many things even well
into the kingship of Saul.

If we allow that Saul reigned 40 years, Samuel was a judge for 20, and that
David didn’t bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem until at least seven
years into his reign, that makes for a total of at least 67 years that it was
in the house of Abinadab in Gibeah. That’s a bit longer than 20.

Karl W. Randolph.