b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:20:32 +0100

On 17/05/2005 15:57, Karl Randolph wrote:

To make it even more interesting, in 2 Samuel 6, whose house was the ark in
when David decided to bring it to Jerusalem?

Further, how old was Samuel when he started judging Israel? How long did he
judge Israel? In other words, does the verse refer not to the time that the
Ark of the Covenant was in Gibeah, but the time that Samuel was judge over
Israel?

My reading is that the verse refers to Samuel’s judgeship over Israel, and
the events listed subsequently were events that occured during that 20 years.
Of course, I may have overlooked something, so what do others on this list
say?

Karl, you have spotted the chronological issues behind my question. It seems to me that the 20 years are the period from when the ark arrived at Kiriath-Jearim (= Baalah) until when David took it (via Obed-Edom's house) to Jerusalem, which was more than seven years after the death of Saul. But that has certain consequences e.g. that the judgeship of Samuel and the reign of Saul must be squeezed into 13 years. And Samuel's defeat of the Philistines at Mizpah would be at the beginning of this period. I note that the Hebrew text of 1 Samuel 13:1 states that Saul reigned only two years, although there is certainly some textual corruption in this verse. And there is no reason to assume that Samuel's judgeship was actually longer than 10 years.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)