b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Re: 2 Sam 21, 1 Sam 15 & Punishment

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: 2 Sam 21, 1 Sam 15 & Punishment
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:21:03 +0300

People discern individuals only inside their group of neighbors, but deal
with other groups as corporate bodies. At 9/11, guerrillas did not think,
"oops, some of these guys voted against supporting Israel, so we must
somehow spare them." Neither the American administration could possibly
spare Iraqis who genuinely hated Saddam.
The commandment of individual responsibility applies only to neighbors. Many
other commandments apply only to neighbors, as well. Consider that, You will
not murder, and You will not steal, are not qualified by object, but
applicable to anyone. You will not covet, however, applies only to
neighbors. Extremely evil actions are prohibited toward everyone, while
expanded ethics applies only to neighbors. So, the commandment of fathers
and sons is simply irrelevant to Amalek.
As for Saul's children, every revolution treated the royal family as a
single corporate body.
Actually, you ignore more important case: a doctrine that a sin of
individual Israelite defiles the community. This is also a matter of
corporate responsibility: Jews are a single body before God, and their
failure to expunge crime from their midst is a crime in itself.
Royal house had the same kind of responsibility of controlling Saul as
Iraqis had of controlling Saddam. In both cases, the affected outsiders
didn't care that the control could not be efficient.
The example of Saul's children does not show violation of the commandment of
individual responsibility, but demonstrates a totally different concept of
corporate responsibility.

Vadim Cherny

> However in neither case, 1 Sam 15 and 2 Sam 21, is there any suggestion
that those who died had anything at all to do with the crimes in quesiton.

> Certainly none of the Ameleq alive at the time of Moses was alive when
Saul was alive. 2 Sam 21 does not even hint that Saul's sons, much less
grandsons, had anything to do with the crimes of Saul against the
Gibeonites.