b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Human Sacrafice & 2 Sam 21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Human Sacrafice & 2 Sam 21
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:19:49 +0300

The whole point of the story is that Jephtah took a foolish vow. This is why
his daughter was whailed. He did not mean to sacrifice his daughter. A
fool's example is no argument. Besides, note how carefully the author avoids
saying that she died. One possible implication is that she was consecrated:
why stress her virginity otherwise?

Vadim Cherny