b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Re: 2 Sam 21 & Punishment

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: 2 Sam 21 & Punishment
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:50:17 +0000

Vadim,

I don't see that we are disagreeing. Individuals of a
later generation who had nothing to do with the initial
crime, suffer the ultimate consequences of that crime. The
text of 2 Sam 21 do explicitly or implicitly state that the
seven decendents of Saul had anything to do with his
crimes. The sins of the father are visited upon the sons
and grandsons. We are agreeing.

lYPVadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
> Date: 2005/04/25 Mon AM 11:23:29 GMT
> To: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
> CC: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: 2 Sam 21 & Punishment
>
> I tend to disregard numerous rationalizations of human
actions by divine
> will contained in Tanakh, but that's not the point.
> Here it goes about the wicked house of Saul. David was
right to exterminate
> the house to eliminate future claims. Saul did not commit
the crime alone,
> like common murderer. Rather, the crime was committed by
royal
> establishment, a corporate body. This establishment had
to be eliminated in
> full. Relatives of Saul were eliminated not because they
were his
> descendants, but because they were members of royal
house, a body that
> committed the crime.
> Israelites suffered famine not for Saul's crime, but for
failure to purify
> their community of that crime by timely killing his
relatives.

> Vadim Cherny
>

> > The text I read is this, in English (ASV) and Hebrew:
> >
> > Now there was a famine in the days of David for three
> > years, year after year; and David sought the presence
of
> > the LORD. And the LORD said, "It is for Saul and his
bloody
> > house, because * he put the Gibeonites to death."
> >
> > $eQbyw hn$ yerx) hn$ eyn$ $l$ dwd yemyB b(r yhyw
> > lW)$-l) hwhy rm)Yw hwhy yenP-t) dwD
> > . eyn(bGh tymeh-r$)-l( eymDh tyeB
> >
> > It would seem that there was a famine (drought?) in
Isreal.
> > David asked Yahweh why there was such a long famine.
> > Yahweh answered that the famine was brought on my
Saul's
> > crimes against the Gibeonites. It is the Isrealites
> > (probably the Gibeonites as well) who are suffering
from
> > the famine which was the result of Saul's crimes. Saul
is
> > of course dead at this point. David kills Saul's two
sons
> > and five grandsons both to appease the Gibeonites and
> > Yahweh. This seemed to have been effective as it says
at
> > the end of 2 Sam 21:14.
> >
> > and after that God was moved by prayer for the land.
> >
> > aek-yerx) ur)l eyhl) ret(eYwjlMh hWc-r$) lK
> >
> > Once more, I do not mean to offend anyone but the story
> > seems quite transparent. Saul commits a crime. There
is a
> > famine as a result of that crime (causing much
suffering no
> > doubt). The children and grandchildren of the criminal
are
> > killed. The crime is avanged and the famine is lifted.
> >

> > Jack Tladatsi

Jack Tladatsi

  • [b-hebrew] Re: Re: 2 Sam 21 & Punishment, tladatsi, 04/26/2005