b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:42:38 +1000

Karl,

I again suggest that you take a look at the article, commentary, and essay I previously mentioned. This may indeed point you away from "the unknown" to an actual referent. Indeed, someone or something "unknown" to Isaiah and Ahaz would really be no 'ot at all. Also, why would this curious word which can mean "young woman" and also "the unknown" be used when an indefinite pronoun could have been used which would have unambiguously signalled someone unknown? In the absense of the indefinite pronoun and since the word seems to always point to a referent, I think a referent needs to be determined from the context. I think Webb's proposal fits the best.

David Kummerow.