b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nun Gimmel Shin root

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <abuian AT access4less.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nun Gimmel Shin root
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:27:08 -0400

wattswestmaas wrote:
What I want to understand is how do you classify this word, a noun or a
verb. I was originally reading Exodus 34:30 (MiGeSHeT) If one could point me
to where I can read about this sort of situation in Gesenius then that would
suffice. thankyou. Chris Watts.

It's an infinitive--a verbal noun--specifically an infinitive construct. Check par. 45 for a general discussion of the form and par. 66b for a specific discussion of I-nun roots (which actually cites your word). Par. 114 covers the syntax of the inf. csr.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics