b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:39:12 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

> On 14/04/2005 08:22, Karl Randolph wrote:

> > I prefer Pshat to Drash. This is Drash based on the insistance
> > that the term must refer to an object, in particular a female of
> > the human persuasion. But a feminine noun can also indicate that
> > it refers to an abstract concept, such as in this case “the
> > unknown”.
> >

> If you prefer the more literal Pshat to speculative Drash, why do
> you reject an obvious sense based on a well established meaning of
> the word (and a well established translation and interpretation
> tradition) in favour of a speculative completely new sense of the
> word?
>
> -- Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

1) Context
2) This is not a completely new sense of the word, as it fits into the root
meaning of being unknown as well as being a grammatically
consistant construct.

I’ve already expanded on point #1. As a lexicographer, I am willing to state
that the traditional definitions (now that Gesenius and BDB
are “tradition”) can sometimes be wrong, though generally I try to avoid
that. By acknowledging a definition of “unknown”, we have a
unanimity of action for the context, as well as a clear Pshat reading that
needs no interpretation or explanation, Drash, to try to make
sense out of it.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm