b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 18:05:09 +0200

I just checked the Qimron/Parry edition of the great Isaiah Scroll, and there
are a couple of variations relative to the Masoretic text (e.g. the scroll
has YHWH where the MT has "adonay"), but the word "almah" is the same.

(I didn't scrutinize the photo, but their printed text seemed to reflect a
fairly well preserved passage with a few holes in it).

In addition we have 4QIs[l] which preserves the word "hinneh" ("look!")
immediately preceding "almah", but that's all. No help there.

My knee jerk reaction must have reflected an attempt of mine many years ago
to see whether there are any **interpretations** of Is 7:14 in the pesher
literature from Qumran - and there aren't.

anyway
gut schabbes and/or have a nice weekend
Soren