b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ex 34:7; V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ex 34:7; V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKe
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 22:30:48 -0500

Chris:

I read this with an unpointed text, so there is a bit of analysis needed to
glean a meaning of this formation.

The Qal meaning of this verb, as far as I can tell, is to be clear, as in
clean, considered innocent. The waw can also signal a contrast, translated in
English as “but”.

I translate the section “but he who considers himself innocent he ( YHWH )
will not clear” or “but the one declaring his innocence ...” (functionally
the
same basic idea). In this reading, I consider the passages indicating that
all people are guilty before God, and when one considers himself innocent,
that is ipso facto evidence of his guilt (at the very least, pride which God
hates).

Karl W. Randolph.