b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ex 34:7; V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ex 34:7; V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKe
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:21:37 +0000

Hey Chris how is it going?

Piel have basically four different semantic categories to help categories
them.

They are factitive, denominative, frequentative, and declarative.

The fourth one fits Ex 34:7.

The word NAKAH according to HALOT in the qal means "purity, clean etc" in the
niphal it means "to be free, unmarried, without blame, to remain blameless to
be emptied."

In the Piel if we use the pure or free and apply the declaritive catagory to
it. We would translate it as " certainly do not declare to be free/
pure/clean the one who visits sin of fathers...."

And from their you can just translate it as guilty. Make sense??

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net