b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tigran Aivazian <tigran AT bibles.org.uk>
  • To: wattswestmaas <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:31:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, wattswestmaas wrote:
I have a question. I am still trying to discover why some words are NOT
pointed in hebrew and especially isaiah 9:6. However Gesenius says at 17
section 2: words and consanants which are to be passed over in reading are
called:- and you all know that latin and hebrew terminology; Please can
someone elucidate what none of my grammar books seem eager to explain and
that is WHY are they 'passed over'? it seems an obvious conclusion as to
what they are and what they mean! So what is this phenomenon please?

what exactly is your question?

Your reference to Gesenius talks of "ketiv velo kere" but your example of Isa 9:6 does not fall into this category. So, which massoretic category are you inquiring about? If you clarify the question then it will be easier/possible to answer.

If you are inquiring about the category of words which are single in the text but double in the margin and vice verse then I can refer you to the registers 482 and 483 of the Massorah on letter Kaph. And, in particular, the doubts about Isa 9:6 will be clarified by reading the pages 163-164 of Ginsburg's Introduction (and comparing elements of the Lists with Septuagint readings). But I am not sure this answers your question because you didn't state the question exactly.

Shalom
Tigran