b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:19:07 -0000

I see that the samaritan discusion is going over my head now! Still it is
interesting to read all comments as they progress.

I have a question. I am still trying to discover why some words are NOT
pointed in hebrew and especially isaiah 9:6. However Gesenius says at 17
section 2: words and consanants which are to be passed over in reading are
called:- and you all know that latin and hebrew terminology; Please can
someone elucidate what none of my grammar books seem eager to explain and
that is WHY are they 'passed over'? it seems an obvious conclusion as to
what they are and what they mean! So what is this phenomenon please?

regards to all

Chris WATTS, Ireland.