b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:00:50 +0200

Hi Chris,

It actually depends what printed edition you are using. In general, the
phenomenon is called "qeri and ketiv", that is, the masoretic tradition has
a word written (ketiv) one way and read (qeri) another. There are many
reasons for this: in some cases the consonental text was obviously corrupt,
but the masoretes did not want to change it because they considered it
sacred, and so they added a "note" on its "correct" pronunciation. Others
are cases of dittography, haplography or even non-standard orthography,
which the masoretes "corrected".
The older prints, such as BHS, leave the word written as is, with the
"correct" dots suprimposed. More modern prints prefer to leave the original
unvoweled so that the reader immediately knows that something is "wrong",
and supply the traditional vocalizion in the margins.

Yigal