b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] weak verb reference

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] weak verb reference
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:18:54 -0800

On 2/27/05 11:28 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

> So, the sense I intended was that at this point the Aleppo Codex
> represents the pointing originally heard by the Masoretes and recorded
> in the first ever pointed text - or the first which noted dagesh in this
> kind of context.

Since I don't have a copy of E.Tov, I dusted off R.K.Harrison and read the
section on the Text of the Hebrew Bible. Harrison confirmed my fuzzy
recollection that there was more than one independent effort to standardize
and vocalize the text and there was some sort of "power struggle" the
resulted in the Ben Asher text becoming the standard.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew