b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] weak verb reference

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] weak verb reference
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:44:53 -0500

Karyn:

The first question to answer is: what do the points represent?

One theory that I think no one on this list ascribes to is that both the
points and the pronunciations were invented by the Masoretes. Therefore there
should be no grammatical explanation as for a particular pointing within a
context. They are not an accurate indication of meaning, grammar nor
pronunciation during Biblical times.

Another theory is that the points teach people how to pronounce the words
while they are sung. They are not to be construed as a guide as to how people
spoke the words, nor an accurate indication of meaning or grammar.

A third theory is that the Masoretes invented the points to record how Hebrew
was spoken at their time. They do not represent the pronunciation of Biblical
Hebrew, rather they reflect the pronunciation tradition 500 - 1000 years
after Hebrew ceased to be spoken as a primary language (learned at mother's
knee).

A fourth theory is that the pointings reflect Biblical pronunciation. But
even here there are some variations, as there were no hard and fast spelling
rules during Biblical times.

I think those are all the theories (I expect to be strongly corrected if I
left out anyone's theory). From these, none will have a good set of rules
exactly how to point words in each context.

I personally ascribe to the third theory. As a result, I prefer to read
Tanakh in unpointed Hebrew, and for fun using a pre-Babylonian exile font.
There are places in Tanakh where the pointing is demonstrably incorrect, and
other places where it is questionable. Keep context in mind, and more
context, as well as looking at the action described, making only a rare verse
that is unclear in meaning.

But as a student, you need to please your teacher, so before translating too
creatively, it is best to find out to which of the above theories he
ascribes. And where you may disagree with the pointing, it is best to show
from sentence structure, context and meaning why the points should be
questioned.

Karl W. Randolph.