b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why assume the Masoretes recorded spoken Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why assume the Masoretes recorded spoken Hebrew?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:24:16 -0500

Peter:

I know people disagree with my conclusions, but these are the conclusions
that I have arrived at after looking at the evidence. It doesn't bother me
that people disagree with me, after all, that leads to discussion that can
improve us all. And a certain amount of the disagreement is theologically
based, where we need to understand where the other is coming from and allow
the disagreement to stand. Further, one's theological position will often
predispose him to notice things that others of other theologies will miss or
discount.

Having dealt extensively with immigrants, I now suspect that the returnees
from the Babylonian Captivity as a group probably spoke Aramaic better than
Hebrew, and probably spoke it on the street and in the home while Hebrew
continued to be the language of learning, high literature, religion and
official records. After all, it was after at least two generations of daily
contact with Aramaic for most Jews. Even though Ezra made an effort to make
Hebrew the daily language, even he wrote half his book in Aramaic fully
expecting his readers to understand it.

Further, I can see a clear stylistic distinction between the pre-exile and
post-exile writing, but that's assuming the traditional dates for the
authorship of the books, e.g. there was only one Isaiah, and he wrote well
before the exile, that Daniel was totally written by the court official
brought to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar, etc. I recognize that that's a
theological position that others on this list don't share: that's OK, I don't
insist that others abandon their theological positions to adopt mine, but we
should all be allowed to mention how our theological positions affect our
interpretation of Biblical Hebrew language and literary styles.

Karl W. Randolph.