b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why assume the Masoretes recorded spoken Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why assume the Masoretes recorded spoken Hebrew?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:33:19 -0500

At 04:32 PM 2/9/2005, you wrote:
On 09/02/2005 09:12, Vadim Cherny wrote:
Modern spoken Hebrew completely lost schwa and dagesh, certainly dagesh kal, ...
Not true. It still has dagesh kal distinction in bet, in pe and in kaf, i.e. quite different sounds corresponding to presence or absence of dagesh kal.

Quite true. I used to teach little kids to read Hebrew, and believe me shva was there. (There are two types shva nah, and shva nach) Also the dagesh was very important for pronunciation. No Jew could say his daily prayers correctly without knowing how to properly pronounce words with a shva, or a dagesh.

Moshe Shulman outreach AT judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer: http://www.judaismsanswer.com/
Messiah Truth: http://www.messiahtruth.com/
Outreach Judaism: http://www.outreachjudaism.org/