b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why assume the Masoretes recorded spoken Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why assume the Masoretes recorded spoken Hebrew?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:04:45 +0000

On 11/02/2005 18:35, Karl Randolph wrote:

From what I have seen of the language, I have come to the following
conclusions:

Finally, this mail list is dedicated to the study of Biblical Hebrew. In view
of the above, arguing fine points of Masoretic pronunciations won't help much
in the stated goal. Let Peter have the last word.

Karl, in view of your kind invitation, I shall simply say that it is a great improvement that your set of unproven speculations is at least preceded by some kind of disclaimer. I do agree with your point 1, and perhaps 4, but 2 is exaggerated in time scale and 3 is simply confused.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)