b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Micah 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Micah 6:8
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:26:58 -0500

Dave:

There's a good chance that the meaning for this word had been forgotten by
the time the LXX translators took a look at it. You are right, as a verb this
is a hapax legomai. In this context there is no solid clue as to its meaning.
It looks like a hiphil.

In Proverbs 11:2 we find another hapax legomai from the same root, but here
it is contrasted with ZDWN "provocation". Not much better. Could it have the
meaning of "peacemaking"?

Peter, are there any clues from cognate languages?

Karl W. Randolph.