b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Micah 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Micah 6:8
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:25:02 +0200

You're right about the (Ayin, which is why I revised my suggestion to HKN(,
from the root KN( which means "submit". As far as the graphic similarity -
we should look at the specific forms used in the 3-2 centuries. True, the
forms are not as close as the "classic" case of Dalet/Resh, but I can see
where a translator or a copyist, trying to make sense of a word that he was
not familliar with, could assume that the letter is badly written.
But as I said, it's not perfect - just a thought.

Yigal