b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:22:31 -0400

Dear All,
I have argued for the date 586 for the destruction of the temple in
an excursus on the Jubilee year in Milgrom's commentary on
Leviticus Part III that I wrote with Noel Freedman.
I went into all the sources that I could, but I didn't re-evaluate P&D.
I am confident that the date is 586 based on cuneiform and biblical
sources.
In a separate article I suggest that the 70 years refers to the time
between the destruction of the temple in 586 and its dedication in
516. It should not be taken as a firm date however. Zechariah speaks
of the 70 years of exile in the 2nd year of Darius and again in his
fourth year.
Best,
Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph. D.
Department of Near Eastern Studies
University of Michigan
2068 Frieze Bldg.
105 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1285
וישובו איש תחת גפנו ותחת תאנתו ואין מחריד
כי פי יהוה צבאות דבר