b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:11:13 -0500

Yigal:

There‘s more to it than meets the eye.

Just as there are copious records of the Egyptian kings, yet different
researchers put vastly different dates when corrolated to the modern calendar
(please, I‘m not taking sides in this one), so a few messages ago one of our
members (sorry, I don‘t remember who) mentioned that there are difficulties
with the Persian records as well.

I wouldn‘t be surprised if any of these 400+ years BCE are off by decades, if
not centuries.

In Daniel, we have a record that didn‘t have a horse in this race, and so he
mentions a king Darius. Cyrus appears to have done a sort of coup d‘état
where he set himself up as absolute ruler, and part of that would be to
obscure, or even erase if possible, the role of Darius before him. Cyrus‘
records are not neutral.

As for Darius not being able to change a law once made, we see that again in
Esther with a Persian king. In Ezra when a later king tried to stop what an
earlier king had decreed (the rebuilding of the temple, which was still
incomplete), Ezra was able to refer to the earlier command to overturn the
later king‘s command to stop. Therefore that aspect is consistant with
Persian rule, applying even to kings.

Your claim that Daniel was written 300 or so years later is based only on
theory, a theory that I reject. Neither of us can prove the other wrong, as
the earliest records we have are copies that date from about 2000 years ago.

Karl W. Randolph.