b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:10:33 -0500

Dear Rolf,

I have not read this article, but I have done extensive research regarding the date of the fall of Jerusalem, and have published a thorough analysis of the biblical material. If we accept that Babylon was conquered by Cyrus in 539 B.C.E. and take the biblical passages dealing with the question at face value, I see no way to accept 587 as the date for the fall of Jerusalem. This date gives room for only 50 years for the exile, but I cannot see how we can avoid accepting a 70 year exile while Jerusalem was *a desolate waste* if we apply the normal use of lexicon, grammar and syntax to the pertinent biblical passages.

HH: The first conquest of Jerusalem and exile was in 605 B.C., and the temple wasn't rebuilt until 516 B.C.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard