b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] First temple destroyed 586 or 587 BCE?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:23:11 +0200

Where did all this come from? Cyrus II (The Great) became king of the
Persians in 559, and conquered Babylon in 539. His proclamation was issued
in that year or the next. He died in 530 and was succeeded by his son
Cambyses. Cambyses stabbed himself to death under strange circumstances in
522, which is when Darius took over. "Darius the Mede" is an invention of
Daniel - there was no such king.

Yigal