b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:04:19 -0700

On 9/18/04 12:18 PM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

> Well, still off the top of my head: I rather feel that Gutt and other RT
> proponents have set up the "code model" as a straw man to attack, one
> which does not accurately reflect the views of any recent linguists,
> including Rolf. And they use "code model" as a pejorative term.

Peter,

I wonder if it is entirely possible to escape from the code model. I find
Gutt's approach rather vague, with a lot of nice sounding statements that I
am not sure will pan out in the real world of translation as a concrete
task.

I agree with you that Gutt sets up some false dichotomies. I see nothing
wrong with using a code model which takes the target audience (culture,
cognitive framework, etc.) very seriously as all the SIL and UBS gurus have
for ages and ages. So you are right. It is a straw man.

greetings,
Clay