b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:57:20 -0700

On 9/18/04 11:28 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

> Yes, but which is the right tree? Well, it seems to me that a start
> would be to abandon the notion of "invariant" or "uncancellable".

Absolutely. An invariant dogma of "modern linguistics" is that nothing is
invariant. Well ... almost nothing, there may be a few exceptions :-).

> Perhaps (rather off the top of my head) we should see the different verb
> forms, in Relevance Theory terms, as helping to select between various
> interpretations which might be relevant in the context, to find which is
> the most relevant. Does that sound like a promising approach?

Along these lines, I am still finishing up the two books you recommended but
E-A Gutt* and I am wondering if the code view of communication possibly has
something to do with our problems dealing with hebrew verb aspect?

Any ideas on this?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*Gutt, Ernst-August 1992.  Relevance Theory: A Guide to Successful
Communication in Translation, Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics and
New York: United Bible Societies.

*Gutt, Ernst-August 2000. Translation and Relevance: Cognition and Context ,
Manchester: St. Jerome Publishing (2 nd edition).