b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mashiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mashiah
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:38:34 -0600

On Sunday 29 August 2004 23:44, Yigal Levin wrote:
> [...]

Um, this amounts to assuming facts not in evidence, since the date of Daniel
is still hotly disputed. And that doesn't even get into the question of the
date of sources it may have used, which could place the passage much earlier.

The late-date hypothesis is an easy way to write off such questions, but it
is just that: a hypothesis, and scarcely to be taken as established fact.

> As far as the rest of the passages that you cited, as you said,
> understanding them as referring to a future Messiah is a matter of
> secondary interpretation.

But again, it's being assumed that such "secondary interpretation" is going
be wrong. Again, that has not been established. And since we were
discussing the question of Jewish understanding of the Messiah figure, and
since it has been mainly Jewish expositors who have applied those passages
accordingly, it is legitimate to present them in response to your question.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur