b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifices

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifices
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:19:37 +0200

Actually, Shoshanna, there is very little actual evidence of human sacrifice
among the Canaanites. It is not mentioned in any contemporary inscriptions,
the biblical references are vague (Jerimiah deals with Israelites, not
Canaanites!) and there is no clear archaeological evidence, such as the
"Tophet" found at Carthage, from Canaanite sites. If human sacrifice was
practiced at all, it was very rare, and only in times of extreme pressure.
Look at 2 Kings 3:27: the Moabite king (NOT a Canaanite!) sacrificed his own
son, and God became angry at the Israelites and caused them to retreat! Very
strange. Not to mention what Abraham was willing to do to Isaac. Maybe not
what God had intended, but nowhere does he repremand Abraham for being
willing!

Yigal