b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yom Kippur
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:49:06 -0500

EVERYWHERE, G-d stresses that we are not to practice Baal worship, and even tells us to wipe them out of the land. One of the things they did was sacrifice of PEOPLE!

Shoshanna

HH: Do you really think that is what Amos and Jeremiah are doing. I am flabbergasted. The law about sacrifices came from Sinai itself. Your Tanakh turns into swiss cheese full of holes if you consider sacrifice a foreign element that is false to true worship of Yahweh.

HH: I think Jer 7:22-23 speaks of what had priority. What did God stress when He first brought the people out of Egypt? I don't think Amos 5:25 is denying that they brought sacrifices, but saying that while they may have done that, they also carried their idols along with them.