b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calendar (was:Thera quote)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calendar (was:Thera quote)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:21:41 +0200

Dear Michael,

While not new, I find most of your arguments for such a total change of
calendars between the pre- and post-exilic periods to be unproven. There is
no reason to think that the Hebrew calendar was NOT lunar-solar, that is,
based upon the appearances of the new moon, with an occasional intercalary
month in order to "keep up" with the solar seasons - just like most ANE
calendars (and unlike the Egyptian). The new moon (Xode$) is mentioned
enough times in the DH, in D and in P, not to mention in the pre-exilic
prophets, to convince me that it was an important event.
As for a few of your arguments:

1. "Take for example Zechariah 8.18 (prophecies made 520-518 BC):" The fast
of the fourth month (Passover), and the fast of the fifth (destruction of
the temple) and the fast of the seventh (Pentecost), and the fast of the
tenth (Tabernacles)".

Says who? "The fast of the fourth month" is the 9th of Tammuz, which is the
fourth month as counted from Nisan. This was the date on which the walls of
Jerusalem were broken by Nebuchadnezzar (Jer. 39:2; 52:6). "The fast of the
fifth" does indeed commemorate the destruction of the Temple - in Ab (Jer.
52:12; 2 Kings 25:8, although one says it was on the 7th of the 5th and the
other says it was the 10th). "The fast of the seventh" commemorates the
murder of Gedaliah and his group (Jer. 41:1 ff.) - in Tishri. "The fast of
the tenth", the tenth of Tebeth, was the day on which Nebuchadnezzar began
the siege (Jer. 39:1; 52:4, 2 Kings 25:1). All of these fasts were
instituted by the Judean exiles in commemoration of the cycle of events that
let to the final loss Judahite independence. Zechariah promises that in the
future, these days of mourning will become days of celebration.

2. Take the example of Maccabees 2.1.19:"And now keep the festival of the
booths in the month of Chislev".

Once again, you are ignoring the historical context. The writer of this
"letter" is talking about what was later called Hanukkah. In 164 BCE, the
festival of Sukkot was not celebrated in Tishri as it should have been,
because Jerusalem was under siege of the Maccabees. It was only celebrated
in Kislev, after the Temple had been "cleansed" - this "late Sukkot", which
later became Hanukkah, is what the writer of 2 Macc. is referring to.

3. "The celebration of Succoth at the time of Salomo and Jeroboam I in the
8-th month, Bul. Thus, the Temple of Salomo should have been finished "In
the month Bul, that is the eighth month..." I Kgs. 6: 37, whereas its
inauguration was in the 7th month, at Succoth.This statement represents a
problem, easily solved if - at least during the inauguration year of the
temple - Succoth was held in the eighth month."

But it wasn't. According to 1 Kings 8:2, it was held in the month of
Ethanim, on the Festival of the seventh month. So the building was completed
in Bul, the eighth month (Marheshvan). But then the whole next chapter and a
half tell of the additional preparations - what's so strange about all of
this having taken 11 month, until the following Tishri?

4. "The inauguration date of the Bethel temple by Jeroboam I shows the same
anomaly: "For on the fifteenth day of the eighth month, Jeroboam instituted
a feast like the feast kept in Judah" I Kgs. 12: 32."

True. Jeroboam purposely chose to change the date of the Festival, as a part
of his break with the Jerusalem Temple. So?

Yigal