b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:23:51 +0100

On 19/08/2004 19:34, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

... By the same token, the Torah demonstrates its late composition by its anachronisms. That is the truth. Unless you believe that Moses existed no earlier than around 500 BCE he cannot have written the Torah--no more than can any other man who writes of his own death and even remarks that no one can recall where he is buried. ...

Marianne, you weaken your argument by trying to disprove a straw man. For many centuries even highly conservative scholars have accepted that there are parts of the Torah which Moses did not write himself, such as the account of his death and some obvious anachronisms like a reference to the city of Dan. While different people may vary on what they accept, and I can't speak for Karl, this implies a general acceptance that there has been some kind of later redaction of the Torah. That further means that occasional anachronisms do not imply that the main part of the text was not written by Moses sometime in the second millennium. After all, we are talking about a text which is known to have been copied many times, not a stela which claims to be an original text from an earlier time than it actually is.

By the way, how do we know that Manetho was not taken in by the kinds of forged stelae which you mentioned?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)